Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

17 October 2018

24 HOURS OF TWITCHING MADNESS!

Well where do I start,the mega alert went off sunday afternoon after a Pacific swift was found at Hornsea mere in Yorkshire.I just sat at home and thankfully I didn't need it but then it was re identified as a White rumped swift!A FIRST FOR BRITAIN!.Arrangements were made and I headed across with Phil Woollen at 4.00am,making good time and arriving on site just after 7.00am.The weather was wet and cold as we waited around for the bird.
BIRDERS WAIT IN ANTICIPATION FOR A GLIMPSE OF THE SWIFT
We waited and waited but there was no sign of the bird.10 House martins were flying around over near by trees a Cetti's warbler was heard and a Great White egret put in a flyover appearance and that was it.We hung around until 10.30am freezing cold and headed back to the car.This was my fifth dip on the run and I was hurting,Belted Kingfisher,Moltoni's Warbler,Royal Tern and Green Warbler last week,why do I do this to myself,i'll tell you why I love it,it's adrenalin and i just tell myself THEY"LL BE ANOTHER!I made it home for 1.00pm.The bird made the national news that evening CLICK ON LINK.The afternoon was spent catching up with things and then at 4.30pm the mega alert went off again,GREY CATBIRD,TREEVE MOOR,CORNWALL!.Panic mode set in as I was knackered but thankfully after a phone call to Dan pointon he offered to drive,relax!The evening was spent in Blackpool with Dianne visiting the lights and I dropped her off at 11.00pm and headed south to meet Dan,Sam Viles and Andrew Kinghorn.The journey down was full of apprehension as I so wanted to see this mega bird.We arrived on site just after 6.00am and got our heads down for an hour.We then got up and entered the field and waited with the crowd that had gathered had first light.

BIRDERS WAITING AT FIRST LIGHT FOR THE GREY CATBIRD
THE SMALL WILLOWS WERE WHERE THE BIRD WAS LAST SEEN 
We waited but there was no sign of the bird,it didn't look good and I felt like shit,surely not another dip!It was just after 9.00am when the bird popped up out in the open and then continually showed throughout my stay.What a bird!I was ecstatic!There has only been one previous record of Grey Catbird which was found on South Stack,Holy Island,4th to 5th October and again on the 6th October 2001-Anglesey.



WHAT A BEAUTY!
We continued to watch the bird till 11am and headed back to the carpark for some lunch.
We then moved on to Kenidjack valley to do some birding but it was very quiet but we did see a female Adder sunning itself on a wall.


Kenidjack valley
After a good walk we made the long journey north eventually getting home just before 10.00pm,absolutely shattered!