Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

11 October 2019

YELLOW BILLED CUCKOO-ISLES OF SCILLY-6TH OCTOBER 2019

                                                                           THE OLD TUG

News broke on wednesday that a Yellow billed cuckoo had been seen flying across Porth mellon beach on the Isles of scilly from sandy lanes end towards the lifeboat station.Here it was was seen by handful of people as it flew away over the top of the carn but it wasn't seen again after an extensive search from birders on site.I had to go and made arrangements to go on the boat the next morning from Penzance.I left home just after 9.00pm and arrived at Penzance at around 2.30am.I got my head down in the car for a few hours and then made my way to the Scillionian for the 9.30am departure.

LEAVING PENZANCE
There was no news on the bird until I reached Lands end when a Cuckoo sp was seen flying in off the sea and had landed in some gorse on Peninnis,I then lost phone signal.I birded all the way over but it was very quiet,there were plenty of Gannets around but I did connect with a couple of Balearic shearwaters a Bonxie and a Storm petrel.
By the time I reached the Scillies there was no sign of the reported Cuckoo sp after an extensive search of the area.THINGS WEREN"T LOOKING GOOD!The afternoon and evening were spent searching but to no avail!I decided to stay on the weekend as the winds looked good and hopefully the Cuckoo mightn't be refound.
The next morning I spent a few hours on St Martin's but there was again no sign of the Black white warbler that had been caught up in some netting in a vineyard and released.
I was back on St Marys early afternoon and again walked miles looking for the elusive Yellow billed cuckoo until dark.Could it have flown straight through or just died!
I got up early on saturday morning and managed to connect with the Blue rock thrush and Wryneck on Peninnis.

After a good full english breakfast I headed over to Tresco.6 Spoonbills were seen on the boat going over on Samson.
On arrival I headed for the heliport where I soon connected with the long staying Ortolan bunting and a Short toed lark

The afternoon again was spent walking around St Mary's where I connected with a Spotted crake at Lower moors which put in a good show down to a few feet
News then came out that a Red backed shrike had been found at Old town near the church.I made my way over there and soon found the crowd watching it.
Whilst I was watching this we we had a fly over Honey buzzard which was a cracking bird and a first for Scilly for me.
The weather had now turned and it started to rain so I headed back to the digs.
I got up early again on sunday and headed for the Garrison when news broke that Will scott had been walking in Black and white wood at Lower moors and refound the Yellow billed cuckoo!RUN,I LEGGED IT!
On reaching the boardwalk at Lower moors the bird had been seen again in flight.YES IT WAS STILL HERE!Little did I no that six hours later I would still be walking around having not seen it,then around 5.45pm I was walking past Shooters pool when the bird flew into some sallows.The Yellow billed cuckoo then appeared further down the boardwalk where I got cracking views!TOTAL DEFLATION TO ELATION!
(C)SCOTT REID
(C)KIT DAY
(C)ADAM ARCHER
DELIGHTED TWITCHERS
The Cuckoo showed again on Telegraph road up in sallows before flying back towards Shooters pool.I can tell you there was a few happy faces in the birdlog in the evening and and a few celebratory drinks drunk!
The next morning the Yellow billed cuckoo gave itself up and showed for well over half an hour from Telegraph road just sat out in the sallows.
DICK FILBY PLAYING TRAFFIC COP
News then broke of a Red eyed vireo on Peninnis so I headed on over there and got cracking views.

The next morning I headed to Porth hellick where I connected with a Blue winged teal which had been seen the previous evening on St Agnes,the bird showed really well as it flew about.Other birds of note here were a Pied Flycatcher and a Firecrest.




A great 7 days birding on the Scilly Isles,which was topped off on the Scillonian tug on the way home with two Sabine's gull's just off Lands end.SCILLY AT ITS BEST!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.