Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

4 July 2019

GULL BILLED TERN-THURSTASTON-DEE SAILING CLUB-4TH JULY 2019

News broke yesterday that local birder Steve Hinde had found an adult Gull billed tern before high tide off the Dee sailing club at Thurstaston.I was currently working and needed this for Cheshire and Wirral.Gripped off I had to wait till tomorrow to see if the bird was still present.
News came out early this morning so I made my way there and it wasn't long before the bird flew passed me as I was walking along the tideline.The Tern showed down to a few feet over my head before landing on the beach eating a crab.
What an absolute stunning bird and only my second for Britain the last one I saw was on the Dyfi estuary,Wales in 2007.This bird was Cheshire and Wirral 9th record.






 LOCAL BIRDERS WATCHING THE GULL BILLED TERN
THURSTASTON-DEE ESTUARY

PREVIOUS CHESHIRE AND WIRRAL RECORDS:
1976 Hoylake-Hilbre and Red Rocks 2nd and 4th August 
1982 Hoylake-8th July 
1987 Frodsham Marshes-31st May
1989 Inner Marsh Farm-16th June
1995 Frodsham-N06 Tank 31st July
2002 Inner Marsh Farm-18th May
2015 Burton RSPB-3rd July
2018 Burton RSPB-23rd-24th May




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.