Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

7 May 2016

KENTISH PLOVER RETURNS FOR A DAY AND AN EVENING IN THE EASTERN HILLS

Having missed a very showy adult male Kentish Plover at Audenshaw reservoir in Greater Manchester last week due to work commitments and being annoyed I had missed it the little beauty turned up again. I was off work so I rang Malc Curtin who said he was up for coming with me.I picked Malc up on route and we soon made are way to the site.Walking around the reservoir we were constantly getting bitten by midges but eventually we found the bird.







KENTISH PLOVER
The bird showed really well and wasen't bothered by our presence.This represents the first record for Greater Manchester since 1980 and with records of Kentish Plover becoming ever scarcer this was a fantastic inland record that thankfully reappeared a week later.
Dropping Malc off back in Northwich I moved on to Teggs nose country park where I spent at least an hour looking for Pied Flycatchers but no luck and not even a Redstart.

 TEGGS NOSE COUNTRY PARK IN THE EASTERN HILLS OF CHESHIRE

BULLFINCH
Teggs nose was very quiet this afternoon Chiffchaffs and Willow warblers were in good numbers and a pair of Bullfinches were near the stream.
I then moved on towards Trentabank reservoir where I connected with the resident Mandarin's and then heard a Pied Flycatcher calling.I soon got on the bird up in the trees around the picnic area which showed really well.
 Mandarin Duck


 Pied Flycatcher
 Trentabank Reservoir
At last success and what a showy male constantly singing.Moving on towards Widboarclough and walking down the river I had no luck again with Redstart but did connect with Dipper,Stock Dove and Grey Wagtail.

 DIPPER
 STOCK DOVE
 GREY WAGTAIL


WILDBOARCLOUGH

Another great days birding that looks getting even better with easterlies forecast for the weekend!BRING ON THE MEGA!