Well, after two years of trying for Raspberry Clearwing, I was scrolling through Facebook when a guy called Jean posted in the Clearwing Moths Facebook group that he had trapped one near the Chilterns-Oxfordshire. As soon as I saw the post, I messaged Jean, and after several texts back and forth, we made plans to visit the site.
Jean had found this site by exploring the local woodlands around where he lives, looking for patches of wild raspberry. It wasn't somewhere I would ever have thought of looking.
As soon as we put out the pheromone lure, a Raspberry Clearwing came straight in before flying off again. We walked further down the woodland ride, and another came into the lure. Finally, one flew into the trap, giving us brilliant views.
The Raspberry Clearwing has a remarkably long life cycle, spending up to two years as a larva feeding inside the roots and lower stems of raspberry canes before pupating for just a few weeks and emerging as an adult during July. The larvae overwinter twice within the roots and stems before forming a gall at the base of the cane during their second year.
The species is thought to have been accidentally introduced into Britain from mainland Europe on imported raspberry plants. It was first recorded in Britain in 2007 in North Hertfordshire and South Cambridgeshire after Jim Reid discovered larval workings while pruning raspberry canes in his garden. Adults were later confirmed using pheromone lures in nearby fruit farms. Although fairly widespread across mainland Europe, Raspberry Clearwing doesn't disperse over long distances, which supports the theory that our British population originated from imported plants.
A massive thank you to Jean for taking the time to meet me and show me this fantastic site. Without his local knowledge, I'd probably still be searching allotments!
With today's success, I've now seen all 16 British clearwing species. It's been a brilliant journey that's taken me to some amazing places around the country. I've learnt so much about their food plants, habitats and life cycles, met some great people along the way and spent countless hours travelling and searching for these incredible moths.
Finally seeing Raspberry Clearwing and completing the full set is something I'll never forget. Every mile travelled, every early start, and every failed search has been worth it. Mission accomplished.