27 June 2024

WEST COAST OF SCOTLAND BUTTERFLIES

With the birding scene relatively quiet this time of year I've visited the West coast of Scotland and called in at some Butterfly sites whilst up there.

Glasdrum wood nature reserve-Argyll and Bute 




I visited this site for Chequered skipper back in 2017 but had no luck seeing any,returning to the site it didn't take long before I found two sat out on the bracken.


Confined to just the North west of Scotland and with a distribution centred largely around Fort William,Chequered Skippers are a true Scottish speciality.Other butterflies of note were Ringlet,Large White and at least six Small pearl-bordered fritillary.


Moving on from here I visited Appin which is just a few miles down the road which is a site for Marsh fritillary which is threatened,not only in the UK but across Europe,and is,therefore,the object of much conservation effort.




I walked around for a few hours but didnt even see a Butterfly on site and then the rain set in so I gave up and decided that I would give it another go tomorrow as the weather looked ok,well as good as it gets in Scotland.
I arrived back on site mid morning and didnt take long before I found one deep down in the grass.



The Marsh Fritillary was once widespread in Britain and Ireland but has declined severely over the twentieth century. The Marsh Fritillary populations are highly volatile and the species requires extensive habitats or habitat networks for its long term survival. It is now confined to the western side of Britain and Ireland.There were also good numbers of Small pearl-bordered fritillary flying around and Heath spotted orchids were on show in all there glory.




A nice few days away which was finished with a bird which I needed for Scotland,Little owl.I found out about a site and called in on the way home and I was lucky enough that one was sat out in a tree by the side of the road.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.