LATEST UK BIRD NEWS:9th September 2026-Hudsonian Godwit-Suffolk-Cattawade-Solitary Sandpiper-Isles of Scilly-Tresco -Juvenile still at east end of Great Pool-Red-billed Tropicbird-Cornwall-At sea -One photographed from a boat c 5km south of Looe on Sunday-Black-winged Kite-Norfolk-Hempstead Marshes-Still south-west of The Marrams-Long-tailed Shrike-Gloucestershire-Eastleach Martin-1st-summer male still showing well in hedge at Eastleach Downs-Barolo-type shearwater-Cornwall-Pendeen- -One flew past between 06:45 and 18:00 yesterday
Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Monday, January 02, 2023

MY BIRDING YEAR 2022

I had to wait until 30th June for my first lifer of the year whilst on Unst, Shetland; news filtered through that an Eleonora's falcon had been found at Sandwich Bay in Kent. I left straight away, and after three ferries, I arrived back in Aberdeen and drove south to Kent.

The Eleonora's showed well on arrival, and I spent the evening watching this great bird.


I then had to wait till the morning of 7th August, when a Cape gull was found at Grafham Water. This was a first for Britain and showed well on arrival.


Bird of the Year turned up for me on Bryher on the Isles of Scilly on the 13th of October, a Blackburnian warbler! My mate Dave Mack and I travelled down there and got absolutely stunning views of the bird.


On the 27th of October, an Alpine accentor was found in Suffolk, so I headed down there for first light, and thankfully, the bird was still there after a previous dip for this species.


The last twitch of the year was for a Stejneger's scoter in Lothian, which took some finding, but eventually it was seen.


 

Five new birds were added this year. I missed the Common Nighthawk due to work commitments, and I was stuck on Unst again when the Little Bittern was found, and sadly, it was taken away.

Roll on 2023!