Thanks to a tip-off from my good friend Alan Lewis, I headed down to Dorset after work with two moths in mind, Blair’s Wainscot and Banded Pine Carpet.
My first stop was a site for Blair’s Wainscot, where I was able to find a large stand of its foodplant, Lesser Pond-sedge. Shortly after dark the moths started appearing, and I was able to see a number of these very local moths. It was a great start to the evening.
Blair’s Wainscot (Sedina buettneri) is an exceptionally rare and localised moth in Britain. It was first discovered in the UK on the Isle of Wight in 1945 and is now mainly found at a small number of wetland sites in southern England. The moth is closely associated with Lesser Pond-sedge, with the larvae feeding inside the stems of the plant. Adults are mainly seen during September and October.
After the early success with the Wainscot, I moved east to a pine plantation where I set the trap overnight for Banded Pine Carpet.
The overnight trapping session produced one Banded Pine Carpet, giving me exactly what I had hoped for.
The Banded Pine Carpet is a recent colonist to Britain, having expanded its range west from mainland Europe. It was first recorded in Britain in 2014, with early records from Sussex, Kent and the Isle of Wight, and it is now established in parts of southern England. The larvae feed on conifers, including Norway Spruce and Silver Fir.
A great night in Dorset and two more great moths added to the list!