Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

6 February 2017

AFTERNOON WALK ON THE NORTH WIRRAL COAST

I was off work today so I parked the car at Meols and walked along the coast towards Red Rocks in search of a single Snow Bunting that had been showing well over the weekend.Reaching Red Rocks slipway there was no sign of the Snow Bunting so I carried on walking and headed over to Hilbre Island.Reaching Middle eye I soon connected with some Atlantic Grey seals and a few hundred Brent geese.
 GREY SEALS
THERE ARE CURRENTLY 306 BRENT GEESE AROUND THE ISLANDS WHICH IS A RECORD FOR THIS SPECIES
 LOOKING BACK FROM MIDDLE EYE TOWARDS WEST KIRBY
IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL DAY TO BE ON HILBRE 
Walking towards the sea hide I soon picked up 4 Scaup on the sea which were then flushed by a lifeboat bombing past the Islands.
THE SEA HIDE ON HILBRE
There wasen't many birds around on Hilbre but there were good numbers of Knot,Dunlin,Turnstone and Brent geese.On the sea there were 6 Great Crested grebes and good numbers of Common Scoter,
 BRENT GEESE
 TURNSTONE
CORMORANT
COMMON SCOTER
I had a good look round the Island for a Purple sandpiper but couldn't find any.News then came through to me that the Snow Bunting had turned up again around the slipway so I headed back.On arrival there was no sign of the Snow Bunting but this probably due to all the dog walkers.With the light starting to fade I gave up on the Bunting and headed back to the car after a lovely afternoons walk.


A FEW PHOTOS OF THE NORTH WIRRAL COAST AS I WAS WALKING BACK TO THE CAR