Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

9 February 2017

AFTERNOONS BIRDING IN CHESHIRE

I spent this afternoon at Gowy landfill site which is close to Ellesmere port.My target bird was a Juvenile Glaucous gull which has been seen regular over the last couple of days.I eventually got onto the the bird after a good hours search of hundreds of gulls dropping down off the nearby tip and landing in the fields.An adult Yellow legged gull was also picked out during my visit.





THERE WERE HUNDREDS OF GULLS AROUND THIS AFTERNOON
Moving on from here I called in at Kelsall where I soon found 18 Waxwings happily feeding on berries in someones garden.










It has been a great winter for Waxwings in Cheshire with numerous sightings across the county.After getting great views of these stunning birds I moved on to Newchurch common where I found the Red crested pochard at the north end of the pool but there was no sign of the female Smew.



RED CRESTED POCHARD
Other good birds of note were a Kingfisher,4 Gadwall,8 Goosanders and 24 Sisken.
 GADWALL
 KINGFISHER

 GOOSANDER
SISKEN
A good afternoons birding which was topped off with a Barn Owl which I saw whist driving down the A50 towards Holmes chapel.