Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

16 November 2016

A MORNINGS BIRDING AT BURTON R.S.P.B

I visited Burton R.S.P.B this morning hoping to get some photos of the Long eared owl which was found last week.On arrival at the visitors centre I saw Janet and Bob jones from Sandbach which was nice as I haven't seen them since the Whiskered terns on there local patch earlier in the year.A quick chat and I noticed that the Cattle egrets were showing so I said my goodbyes and I was off.There were six Cattle egrets showing and true to there name one of them was sat on top of the cow herd.

THERE ARE NOW SIX CATTLE EGRETS SHOWING DAILY ON THE RESERVE
Moving on towards Inner marsh farm hide I had good views of Sisken and Redpoll and a very showy Bullfinch.

BULLFINCH
Walking along Pink footed geese were constantly flying over me and a nice surprise was a Great white egret.The Long eared owl didn't take much finding as a small group were watching it.The Owl was skulking in the hedge but could be made out with a bit of guidance.

LONG EARED OWL
I gave it half an hour but the owl didn't move so I headed for the nearby hide.A Green Sandpiper was showing really well with two Shelduck and a few Teal.



GREEN SANDPIPER
Moving back towards the owl it still hadn't moved so I headed towards Burton point.The tide was nearly covering all the marsh and there were hundreds of birds flying around.
BURTON POINT
Two Short eared owls were seen along with a ring tailed Hen harrier and 3 Great white egrets.Geese numbers were in there hundreds with Pink footed geese and Canada geese being seen.There were a few Brent geese out on the marsh and then I got on a skein of Barnacle geese flying past the point and landing out on Denhall marsh.I have only ever seen the odd Barnacle goose in Cheshire and nowhere near the number that were flying so I headed back to the car for a closer look.
LOOKING OVER THE RESERVE FROM BURTON POINT
When I arrived at Denhall lane I soon picked up the Barnacle geese out on the marsh feeding,there were 21 birds.I tried to take some photos but they were so far away.These photos below were the best I could get,which aren't  great!



 BARNACLE GEESE
Other birds of note were over twenty Little egret and another Great white egret and a Stonechat.
STONECHAT
Another great mornings birding that sadly had to end due to other commitments.I'LL BE BACK!
 DENHALL MARSH