Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

9 November 2016

AFTERNOON VISIT TO NEWCHURCH COMMON

I visited Newchurch Common this afternoon as I was passing the site.The weather wasen't great as it hasen't stopped raining in Cheshire for the last two days but I thought i'd give it a go and try and photograph the Red crested pochard that has been here for the last couple of weeks.I hadn't seen a Red Crested Pochard in Cheshire for years so I was made up when I found it so close to the shore on arrival



RED CRESTED POCHARD
Luckily as I was stood in the pouring rain photographing the bird the female redhead Smew landed right behind the Red Crested Pochard.LUCK OR WHAT!


REDHEAD SMEW
This bird has been present for weeks and showed really well before flying off again to the other side of the pool.Other birds of note on site were Bullfinch,Goldfinch,Kingfisher,Green Woodpecker,Great Spotted Woodpecker,Gadwall and at least 40 Wigeon.A nice afternoons birding!