UK RARE BIRD NEWS:7th September 2026-Solitary Sandpiper-Isles of Scilly-Tresco-Juvenile- Long-tailed Shrike-1st-summer male-Gloucestershire-Eastleach Martin-Adult still-Black-winged Kite-Norfolk-Hempstead Marshes-Hudsonian Godwit-Suffolk-Cattawade-Adult male-Zitting Cisticola-Suffolk-Walberswick
Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Saturday, July 13, 2024

DAY OUT IN NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

I visited Northamptonshire today and had a really good day catching up with butterflies that I needed. I visited Weldon Woodland Park first, and it didn't take long walking around the site to connect with my first Marbled Whites.



7 Marbled Whites were seen in total

Next stop was Fermyn Woods, where I saw my first Silver-washed Fritillary straight away as we got out of the car.






Silver Washed Fritillary

There were butterflies practically everywhere on site, and then the magic moment came as I was photographing a white hairstreak up high in a tree. The purple emperor appeared in front of me, flew around, and then headed high into the forest—amazing!


This is what I had travelled down to see, and I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time to see this one, as many people on site were looking.

Purple Emperor | Butterfly Conservation

This photograph is off the net but shows 
the Purple emperor in all its glory

Photo - White-letter Hairstreak - Satyrium w-album - Observation.org
White Hairstreak

Other butterflies of note on site were:

White Admiral

Comma


Ringlet, which took a fancy to Jenna's hand!

Small Copper Butterfly Lycaena phlaeas ...
Small copper

 Gatekeeper | Butterfly Conservation
Gatekeeper

On the way back to the car, to top it all off, a Southern Hawker put in an appearance to finish off a great day!