Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

12 February 2016

PICKERINGS PASTURE AND HALE LIGHTHOUSE

I headed over to Pickerings pasture this morning to look for a Firecrest that had been reported yesterday,this is the first time I had visited the reserve which lies right on the edge of the river Mersey.
 Map Of Area

Walking down the Mersey towards Runcorn bridge
When I eventually got to Ditton brook bridge I met up with some birders who had been on site for a few hours but hadn't seen the bird.I continued to look around but the area was vast and dense.There were plenty of common woodland birds around though and I counted 12 Bullfinches which have eluded me till last week at Moore.
Ditton brook footbridge where the Firecrest was seen from yesterday
 Great Tit


 Goldfinch
 Goldcrest
 Gadwall


 Bullfinch
Greenfinch and Feral Pigeon
After a couple of hours wandering around I started to walk back to the car.Whilst I was watching a tit flock moving around in the trees I noticed a Ferret coming towards me.Thankfully it was on a long lead and had its owners attached to it!


It's not everyday you see one of these on a lead
I can honestly say not one of my favourite mammals but everyone to there own.As I carried on walking I noticed early signs of spring as Snowdrops were in full flower in the wooded areas by the river.
Snowdrops
Well even though I dipped the Firecrest I was glad I had visited this site and will definitely be visiting again.
Next port of call was Hale village for a history lesson.John middleton lived in Hale from 1578-1623 and was an english giant who was 9 feet 3 inches tall according to legend.He was that tall he slept with his feet out his cottage window!
 John Middleton statue
 Hale church
John was buried in Hale churchyard
Moving on from Hale I headed down the road towards the lighthouse.
Hale lighthouse
Walking down the lane I connected with Skylark,7 Yellowhammers,Grey Partridge,Reed bunting,Linnets and a stonking female Merlin that perched up on a hale bale.Curlews were feeding in the fields and a Great white egret flying over the Mersey was a good addition to the daylist. 
 Curlew
 Grey Partridge
 Pheasant
 Reed Bunting





 Yellowhammer
 Kestrel


Female Merlin
Another great days birding which was finished off at Marbury park with Malc looking for the Bittern but no show!