Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

7 September 2016

AMERICAN CLIFF SWALLOW-ISLES OF SCILLY

I had just finished a 12 hour night shift and was pulling up the drive at home shattered at 8.30am when the MEGA alert went off "CLIFF SWALLOW ST MARY'S".I rang Malc curtin straight away to see if he was up for it but he was busy with family commitments so I gathered some gear together got changed and I was off on the long journey south.I left Dianne sorting a flight out for me on Skybus and just drove.Dan Pointon was soon on the phone and Stewart Piner after a flight as well but Dianne couldn't book us on one as they were all booked up from Newquay,Exeter and Lands End!I just carried on driving so I was down there in case anything else was sorted on route.Dan phoned me back and said that a charter boat had been arranged from Penzance and at it was leaving at 3.00pm and then Higgo phoned me to say the bird was still showing and he had sorted me a room out at Al's,EVERYTHING SORTED NOW FOR THE BIRD!The journey south was clear all the way down and I arrived in Penzance just after 2.00pm and grabbed some food.I soon met up with the other lads on the quay and we were off!
CHARTER SORTED!
TWITCH ON!
The journey across was quite smooth at the speed we were going and we connected with a few Manx shearwaters,Fulmar,4 Common dolphins and 2 Porpoise.On arrival the news wasn't good the bird had flown and hadn't been seen for over an hour!
ARRIVING ON ST MARY'S-HUGH TOWN
We soon arrived by taxi at Porth hellick and I met up with Higgo who gave me the bad news that the bird had flown high about an hour ago and there was no further sign.I was absolutely gutted deep down after all the effort I had put in I was shattered after no sleep,but continued to look for the bird.The pool at Porth hellick held a stunning Temminck's stint which was so close to the hide and a Lesser Yellowlegs.


TEMMINCK'S STINT

LESSER YELLOWLEGS
Another hour passed by of looking around when I said to Higgo lets head back towards the boardwalk there's a few House martins gathering.On walking down Higgo picked up the Cliff swallow heading straight for us.It flew so low over are heads,did a loop behind us and over again before flying behind some pines!CRIPPLING VIEWS! Deflation to elation after all the effort I had put in I had seen it.The Cliff swallow continued to show well up until dusk just flying in front of us.






CLIFF SWALLOW
After great views of the bird I headed for my digs and a few celebratory beers.
CATCHING UP WITH LADS IN THE SCILLONIAN CLUB
The next day was spent chillin before the boat in the afternoon and saying my goodbyes before I left on the Scillionian.The crossing was spent asleep before the long journey home.We docked at Penzance at 7.15 just in time for me to nip to Marazion to have a look at the Buff breasted sandpiper.I soon found the bird on the beach which showed down to a few yards.


BUFF BREASTED SANDPIPER
After good views of the bird I headed north and got home at 1.45am.A fantastic two days birding and everything went to plan in the end!

THERE ARE 10 PREVIOUS CLIFF SWALLOW RECORDS IN BRITAIN
2001 Oct 26 to Oct 30
Isles of Scilly


St Agnes, first-winter, 26th October, photo; same, St Martin's, 26th to 27th October; same, St Mary's, 28th to 30th October, photo.

2000 Oct 1
Hants


Titchfield Haven, 1st October; possibly same as Portland, Dorset, 29th to 30th September.

2000 Sep 29 to Sep 30
Dorset


The Verne, Portland, 29th to 30th September, photo.

2000 Sep 28 to Sep 30
Isles of Scilly


St Mary's, 28th to 30th September, photo.

1996 Oct 1
Sussex


Church Norton, juvenile, 1st October.

1995 Dec 4 to Dec 5
Isles of Scilly


Tresco, juvenile, 4th to 5th December, photo.

1995 Nov 16
Co.Kerry


Dunmore Head, 16th November.

1995 Oct 22 to Oct 28
Yorks


Spurn, juvenile, 22nd to 23rd, 28th October, photo.

1988 Oct 23
Cleveland


South Gare, juvenile, 23rd October.

1983 Oct 10 to Oct 27
Isles of Scilly


St Agnes, juvenile, 10th October; same, St Mary's, 10th to 27th October, photo.