Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

28 September 2016

ISLES OF SCILLY BIRDING HOILDAY DAY 3

Spent the morning on St Marys birding today but the weather was terrible with thick sea mist.I called into see Martin goodey first who had hatched a Deaths head hawk moth from a caterpillar that Spider had found outside Star castle on the Garrison.It had taken six weeks to hatch and what a magnificent moth, this  was the first time I had seen this species before.


Moving on from Martin's I headed up to the north of the Island which was very quiet but did find a Restart and a Pied flycatcher.Walking back towards the airfield I spotted a Clouded yellow on the footpath.

 CLOUDED YELLOW BUTTERFLY
A call from Spider as I was having my sandwiches that a Dotterel had been found on the airfield got me moving.The bird showed really well before it was flushed by a plane,GOOD TIMING!




DOTTEREL
Very quiet day but hopefully the weather will improve tomorrow.