Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

26 September 2016

ISLES OF SCILLY BIRDING HOILDAY DAY 1

I left off work at 6pm this evening and drove down to Penzance for a week on the Scillies.I slept in the car overnight and before I new it my alarm was going off and I was walking down to the quay to get on the Scillionian.The weather was shocking and I new I was in for a bumpy ride on the boat.
 St MICHEAL'S MOUNT
LEAVING PENZANCE
Birding was quiet till we passed Lands end when I picked up a Grey phalarope on the sea before it flew and then a Sooty shearwater flew along the side of the boat.
 SOOTY SHEARWATER
There were plenty of Gannets around and I also saw several Manx Shearwaters and a Great Skua.

GANNET
The crossing was bad with the weather and there were plenty of people who were struggling with sea sickness.Anyway we arrived safely at St Mary's even though some people looked green.On arrival I headed straight for Porthcressa bay to try and see a Black necked grebe that had been around for last couple of weeks.I soon picked the bird up close to the shore line,I couldn't believe how close it was and it wasn't fazed by me taking photos.

BLACK NECKED GREBE
After getting some photos I dropped my gear off at my bed and breakfast and set off for Bants carn near Telegraph.The weather was now deteriorating even more but I wanted to make the most of the day.On arrival I soon connected with the Wryneck that had been around a few days.



WRYNECK
The bird showed really well whilst I was there even though it was absolutely throwing it down.Moving on from Telegraph I called in at Newford duck pond where I soon heard my first Yellow browed warbler of the year.Two birds were eventually seen happily flitting around with Goldcrest's.

 YELLOW BROWED WARBLER
After trying to get some photos I gave up,it was just to wet and I was soaked so I started to head back to my bed and breakfast.Walking back one of the local birders Spider rang me to say someone had found a Spotted crake at Lower Moors.I called in and was rewarded with good views on arrival down to a few yards.


A cracking afternoons birding even though I was soaked to the bone.Roll on day 2!