Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

9 December 2016

MASKED WAGTAIL-CAMROSE-PEMBROKESHIRE


Britain's first Masked Wagtail (Moticilla alba personata) was identified in the small village of Camrose in Pembrokeshire on the 29th November.This incredible long distant vagrant from Kazakhstan,Iran and Afghanistan is not yet a split and is still lumped with White wagtail as a sub species but I had to go and see it for insurance reasons.I had been on nights for the last two weeks so when I eventually had a day off I made plans to go.I set off friday evening and made good progress and arrived at Camrose around 1am and got my head down in the car for a few hours.At first light I found the bird happily feeding on the main road before it flew on to a garden lawn.


BRITAINS FIRST MASKED WAGTAIL

The bird showed really well and wasn't bothered by the small crowd of birders that were watching this eastern delight.The bird has made several national newspapers CLICK ON LINK CLICK ON LINK
After good views of the bird I headed back north through Wales and saw 21 Red kites in the valleys whilst driving.News broke around 10am that there were 50+ Waxwings at St Asaph around a football pitch so I did a slight detour and soon got on the birds as I arrived.










WAXWINGS

Always stunning birds to see and finished off a good days birding.