Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

24 March 2017

DAYOUT BIRDING IN CHESHIRE AND WIRRAL

I started off this morning's birding at Hale where I soon connected with the Drake Garganey on Town lane,the bird had been found the previous day on Carr lane pools.

DRAKE GARGANEY
I spent a good hour looking for the Lapland bunting which had also been seen the previous day but couldn't relocate it.A single Water pipit put in a brief appearance on Carr lane pools before being flushed.A Raven was calling overhead and there were also 3 little grebes on the pool.
 RAVEN
LITTLE GREBE
Moving on from here I called in at Burton RSPB where the Little Gull was showing well.




1ST WINTER LITTLE GULL
I also saw my first Chiffchaff of the year as I was walking around the reserve.
 CHIFFCHAFF
There were plenty of birds on the reserve today with 71 Avocets returning along with good numbers of Black Tailed Godwits.A single Spotted Redshank was seen from the Marsh Covert hide and a flyover Sparrowhawk.
 SPOTTED REDSHANK
SPARROWHAWK
Moving on towards Burton point I connected with 21 Whooper Swans,thousands of Pink footed geese,Great White egret and my first 2 Wheatears of the year.

WHEATEAR
Walking back to the car I spotted a Common Lizard sat out in the sun on a fence.

COMMON LIZARD
The evening was spent at Leasowe looking for Spring migrants but it was very quiet.I did connect with a Greenshank on the groyne though.


GREENSHANK