Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

2 May 2017

DAYS BIRDING ON THE WIRRAL

With good numbers of Black terns being seen throughout Cheshire and Wirral yesterday I started off this morning birding at New Brighton hoping to see some Black terns that had been reported in the mouth of the Mersey.There was no sign of any on arrival but did have 10 Sandwich terns that flew towards Crosby beach.
Moving on to Leasowe I soon connected with 2 Whinchat's in Kerr's field along with 3 Wheatear's.
TWO WHINCHAT'S WERE IN KERR'S FIELD
Walking to the bottom of Lingham lane I met up with Allan conlin who had found two Lesser Whitethroats.The birds were real skulkers but eventually showed well around the pond area.A Swift put in a quick pass over us and a Reed warbler called from a nearby reed bed.
Other areas were checked but little else of note was seen around the Leasowe area apart from 4 White Wagtails in the paddocks at the top end of Park lane and 2 Common Whitethroats were near the pond at the top Lingham lane.
With news that eight Black terns had been found at Burton RSBP I made my way there but on arrival again the birds had flown east.NO LUCK TODAY!Other birds of note on the reserve were a Spoonbill,two Spotted Redshank and good numbers of Common Whitethroats.
 SPOONBILL
COMMON WHITETHROAT
SPOTTED REDSHANK
Walking up to Burton watchpoint the small wooded area was a carpet of Bluebells.



After a good days birding I started to head home when news came out that there were 32 Black Terns on the Weaver bend at Frodsham.After dipping this species twice in one day would I be third time lucky!
On arrival at Frodsham two birders were on the terns with there scopes and let me have a look before I started the long walk down to the bend.AT LAST I HAD CONNECTED!
THE WEAVER BEND
Walking down the Weaver as I approached the bend alot of the terns started to disperse up into the air and flew really high but thankfully they came back down onto the river.
 18 BLACK TERNS



Standing on the bank and looking down on the Weaver I couldn't believe what I was witnessing,I counted 32 of them.IT WAS A TERN FEST!I had chased them around all day and now it had paid off!
THE BLACK TERNS FEEDING OVER THE RIVER
After watching this great spectacle I headed back to the car.Whilst walking back down the river I saw my first Sedge warbler of the year and had a reeling Grasshopper warbler.