Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

My photo
ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

23 August 2021

RUFOUS-TAILED SCRUB ROBIN-BLACKHEAD-CORNWALL 23/08/2021

Whilst I was on hoilday last year on the Isles of Scilly news broke on saturday 17th October that a Rufous-tailed scrub robin had been found at Stiffkey in Norfolk.The bird showed well all day to the masses and numerous texts and telephone calls were received,WOUNDED!I was eager to leave Scilly and after the bird also showed well the following day I booked a plane off monday morning and headed to the east coast.The bird again showed well allday till I got there just after 6.30pm,No sign!I stayed over in Hunstanton and waited with the masses but no sign and then I missed it by seconds.I hung around allday and there were no further sightings so I headed home.The bird showed again the next two days,but was really elusive.I was in work so I headed back on the thursday morning for first light,I was the only one there,again no show it had gone!Absolutely gutted🤬!

Rufous Tailed Scrub Robin-Stiffkey-Norfolk

Last recorded in August 1980 (a one-dayer at Prawle Point, Devon),it is as far back as 1963 when an individual was last twitchable in the UK,at Butlin's Holiday Camp in Skegness, Lincolnshire, from 2-9 September – with many hearing about it by postcard!

Forward 10 months and im in work yesterday and news broke of another Scrub robin in Cornwall,I couldn't believe it!The bird showed well all afternoon and was still there when I left off work at 8.00pm so I headed south with Mark Sutton who also needed it as he was stuck on Fetlar in Shetland last year.

We arrived on site just after 4am and got our heads down for an hour,I was knackered!.We headed down the coastal footpath just after 5.30am and waited.

It was a clear night and I wasn't holding out much hope!

Just before 6.00am a birder walked further down the path and had the Scrub robin fly right out in front of him into a field and it started to feed,he called us down and there it was!YES!


There were just 8 of us on site 

The Scrub robin then flew and landed on some fencing right near us.

The Scrub robin continued to show as the sun came up and the views were incredible,it clearly wasent bothered by the small crowd.







What a grip back this was!I never thought I'd see one again after last autumn's disaster!THEY"LL ALWAYS BE ANOTHER😎










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.