Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

20 October 2016

BIRDING AFTERNOON ON THE WIRRAL

I called in at Burton RSPB this afternoon and was rewarded with four Cattle egrets on the Island pool in front of the reception.
CATTLE EGRETS
There have been five around the reserve the last few days.If I had been 10 minutes earlier I I would have seen the fifth bird which had flown along with a Great White egret,TYPICAL!Anyway with time approaching high tide I made my way to Parkgate.On arrival I soon picked up a female ringtail Hen Harrier and a Peregrine sat out on the marsh.



 FEMALE RINGTAIL HEN HARRIER
As I was scoping the Peregrine the prize bird appeared the male Hen Harrier,one of my favourite species.






MALE HEN HARRIER
What a bird!The Hen harrier showed well and gave all the birders on site good views.Out of all of the uk's birds of prey this species is the most intensively persecuted,it was absolute joy to watch and long may we all help this stunning species to thrive from persecution

LITTLE EGRETS ARE THRIVING ON THE DEE ESTUARY
Other birds of note were 2 Ravens overhead and a distant Marsh Harrier.Little egret numbers were well over 70 and then I gave up counting they were everywhere.Who would have thought that our first record at Leasowe in 1988 would lead to these numbers in 2016!
If you ever visit Parkgate there is a hightide birdwatch which the RSPB organise,I have put when the next events are held on my blog.
PARKGATE MARSH LOOKING DOWN THE ESTUARY TOWARDS PARKGATE