Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

19 October 2016

SIBERIAN ACCENTOR-EASINGTON-SPURN


Well now five Siberian Accentors have turned up in Britain, yes five!,so I decided after working all weekend to go to Spurn and do some birding and hopefully see another one of these mega species after seeing the first record in Shetland.
On arrival I walked up to the back of the old school at Easington,there were only about ten birders present and was put on the bird straight away.The Siberian Accentor was only a few feet away from the fence and was happily foraging away.






BRITAIN'S SECOND SIBERIAN ACCENTOR
As you can see the bird was showing really well and was a cracking find by Lance Degan.Writing this tonight there are now nearly 65 Siberian Accentors been seen across Europe!As I was watching the bird news came through that the Isabelline Wheatear was showing well near the boatyard so I got off.The Isabelline Wheatear was soon picked up in a ploughed field with two Shorelarks and three Bramblings.The bird was distant so I managed to get some record shots.


ISABELLINE WHEATEAR



BRAMBLING
Moving on to Spurn the fields were full of Fieldfares and Redwings as I was driving.I pulled over in the car and watched hundreds of them feeding in the stubble fields.
FIELDFARE AND REDWING
Reaching Spurn I parked up the car and headed to the Bluebell carpark where I had great views of two Shorelark feeding in a nearby field.






SHORELARK
There were so many birds around as you walking about. Siskens were in good numbers and i've never seen so many Robins and Goldcrest's they were everywhere.


GOLDCREST

SISKEN
A quick stop off at the Crown and Anchor pub garden produced a Yellow browed warbler and a Firecrest but they only showed for the matter of seconds in blustery conditions so no record shots but not as though I didn't try,I just gave up.
The estuary was very quiet as it was low tide but I did see Reed Bunting,Wheatear and a few Grey Plover.
 GREY PLOVER
 WHEATEAR
REED BUNTING
After a great days birding I headed home leaving Spurn behind.What a magical place this is for birds and hopefully it won't be long before I return.