Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

21 September 2017

SHETLAND DAY 1

Two great birds were found yesterday on Shetland so I made plans with Dan Pointon to twitch both birds.The birds were a Siberian thrush on Unst and a Yellow breasted Bunting on the Out Skerries.I wasn't meant to be going to Shetland until the 30th September with Dan but with the long range weather forecast looking good and with two great birds available we changed are minds.
I changed my out going flight from Aberdeen and flew from Manchester the next morning only to be met at 7.20am with a plane that had stood on the runway all night that needing refuelling.The rest of the story is to long to write about  but I ended up missing my flight from Aberdeen and ended up with a three hour wait for the next connection which meant I missed the charter boat for the Yellow breasted bunting from Vidlin with Dan!GUTTED!
I eventually arrived on Shetland just after 2.00pm and hired a car and headed straight to Unst to try and see the Siberian thrush.News had already come out earlier that the bird had gone but I was staying with my good friend Allan Conlin so I thought I'd go and see where this siberian mega had been found.
MY FERRY FROM TOFT OVER TO YELL
Two ferries later I was on Unst and soon found where the Siberian thrush had been seen but there was no sign.I wasn't surprised that the bird had gone as they are always one day birds but you have to try for these things.Other birds around the site was my first Yellow browed warbler of the year and then another four were added as I was walking down the road.


 
YELLOW BROWED WARBLER
The evening was spent with Allan and Eddie williams having a few beers before I took to my bed for an early night as the Yellow breasted bunting was still on the Out Skerries,fingers and everything crossed for tomorrow.